The Welsh Government has published its annual report on children in need, which includes data on disability and parenting capacity factors.
- There were 20,145 children in need included in the children in need census at 31 March 2014, which was a rate of 320 per 10,000 children aged under 18 years, and 80 who were unborn.
- More than a third (36 per cent) of referrals were from local authority departments and a further 32 per cent were from the police and primary or community health services.
- Over one-fifth (21 per cent) of children in need had a disability.
- Parental substance misuse, domestic abuse and parental mental ill health capacity factors were each recorded for about a quarter of children in need.
- The attainment of children in need at each Key Stage assessment was much lower than the average for all pupils.
To download the report, click here