Our articles are written by experts in their field and include barristers, solicitors, judges, mediators, academics and professionals from a range of related disciplines. Family Law provides a platform for debate for all the important topics, from divorce and care proceedings to transparency and access to justice. If you would like to contribute please email editor@familylaw.co.uk.
A day in the life Of...
Read on

Taking children abroad post-separation

Date:4 AUG 2019
Third slide

It is the time of year when we are regularly advising separated parents on the law in relation to foreign travel.

The 'stock answer' we can give as lawyers is: seek consent.  It is informative however to go back to the statute and consider why we revert to this advice.  

There are a number of relevant domestic and European laws relevant to this issue but particularly for this short piece The Children Act 1989 and The Child Abduction Act 1984 are relevant, as well as case law.

Where both parents have Parental Responsibility (as is usual for a married couple and this article will presume that is the situation) and they agree, a child may leave the jurisdiction of the UK.

Read the full article here.