In March 2006 the Lord Chancellor, Lord Falconer, reviewed the responsibilities of the Ministerial team in the Department for Constitutional Affairs (DCA).
The Lord Chancellor will deal personally, among other matters with:
- the resourcing of his departments;
- major constitutional issues;
- appointments, including all judicial appointments;
- liaison with cabinet ministers, and the higher judiciary.
Former Solicitor-General, Harriet Harman MP, has taken over:
- criminal justice;
- Her Majesty's Courts Service;
- legal aid;
- Legal Services Commission;
- judicial diversity;
- Family Justice.
Baroness Ashton of Upholland is now overseeing:
- human rights;
- European Union and international policy;
- Law Commission.
Bridget Prentice MP will deal with:
- House of Lords reform;
- legal services;
- legal services complaints commissioner/legal services ombudsman;
- asylum and immigration.