The Department for Education has issued guidance on the care of unaccompanied and trafficked children.
This statutory guidance is for local authorities and applies to:
- local authority chief executives;
- directors and lead members of children’s services;
- social care professionals;
- police officers;
- health education and youth offender services practitioners; and
- those who care for looked after children.
It sets out the steps local authorities should take to plan for the provision of support for looked after children who are unaccompanied asylum-seeking children and child victims of trafficking.
Click here to read the full guidance.
For detailed guidance on how to identify and protect trafficked children before they become looked after, read
‘Safeguarding children who may have been trafficked’