Family Court Practice, The
Order the 2021 edition due out in May
Court of Protection Practice 2021
'Court of Protection Practice goes from strength to strength, having...
Jackson's Matrimonial Finance Tenth Edition
Jackson's Matrimonial Finance is an authoritative specialist text...
Latest articles
Family Law Awards adds a Wellbeing Award - enter now
This past year has been different for everyone, but family law professionals working on the front line of family justice have faced a more challenging, stressful and demanding time than most. To...
Perspectives on civil partnerships and marriages in England and Wales: aspects, attitudes and assessments
IntroductionThis article considers the developments since the turn of the century in the provision of new options for same sex and opposite sex couples to formalise their unions with full legal...
Family Law journal - take the survey and you could win £50 worth of vouchers
Do you subscribe to Family Law journal?Our aim is to provide all subscribers of Family Law with compelling, insightful and helpful content that you enjoy reading and find useful in your...
Commencement date of 6 April 2022 announced for the Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Act 2020
The Ministry of Justice has announced that the Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Act 2020 (DDSA 2020), which received Royal Assent on 25 June 2020, will now have a commencement date of 6 April 2022....
HMCTS blog highlights the use of video hearing due to COVID-19
HM Courts & Tribunals Service has published a blog detailing the impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19) on hearings. Pre-pandemic, HMCTS states that the use of video technology for live participation...
View all articles

Blog: Is it enough for the Court to make an order when a child does not want to see his mum or dad?

Jan 15, 2019, 09:15 AM
Slug :
Meta Title :
Meta Keywords :
Canonical URL :
Trending Article : Yes
Prioritise In Trending Articles : Yes
Date : Jan 15, 2019, 09:08 AM
Article ID :

When we explain the potential stages of private children proceedings to concerned parents, some roll their eyes, sigh, cry and ultimately get frustrated at not only the length of the process and the costs, but also the fact that because the child says he does not want to see one parent, the proceedings don’t come to an automatic halt, according to Rebecca Ranson, solicitor at Maquire Family Law

In 2017, a High Court Judge heard a case regarding a 14 year old boy who wished to relocate to Scandinavia with his Dad. His Mum and his Stepdad fought against him going and the Judge found in their favour. The Judge, Mr Justice Peter Jackson, gave his judgment in the form of a simple letter addressed to the child, which can be read here:

In his letter, Mr Jackson lists the factors that he has to take into account when making a judgment. One of these factors is the child’s ‘ascertainable wishes and feelings’ which depends not only on the child’s age, but also their maturity and pragmatic understanding of the key issues of their own situation.  

There are numerous ways in which the court will seek to obtain the child(ren)’s views, in an age-appropriate and child-friendly way. These are set out as follows:


The most common way of ensuring that a children are ‘included’ in the process is a Section 7 report. This refers to Section 7 of the Children Act gives the court the power to direct that there should be a welfare report. These are where a CAFCASS officer is ordered to conduct investigations into the children’s health, welfare and wishes.

The CAFCASS officer will usually speak to the children alone and then observe each parent with the children and discuss matters generally with each parent independently. They will then write up their findings in a report and this will be filed at court. In some cases, the officer may be asked to write a further report later on in the proceedings if it is considered that the children’s views may have changed during the course of the case or there have been other changes in circumstance which justify it.

Children’s Guardian

This is where the child is made a separate party to the proceedings and is represented by an independent solicitor acting on the Guardian’s instructions.

Some Judges will appoint a Guardian on their own accord, at CAFCASS’ request or at the request of either or both parties. This is not a common direction and occurs only in cases of a complex nature.

Conversation with the Judge

There has been a recent increase in Judges requesting to meet with children during the course of private children proceedings, usually with a CAFCASS officer being present.  As the law stands, the Judge cannot use their discussions with the child as evidence in the case, and ultimately, despite common belief, the idea is not for the Judge to seek clarification of the child’s wishes and feelings. Instead, the opportunity is there to ensure that the child understands what is happening and feels included in the process.

Giving Evidence

Due to the strict and formal nature of a courtroom, it is very rare that a child will be given the opportunity to give evidence. There is no automatic right for them to stand up in court, particularly as in ordinary circumstances, adults giving evidence would give evidence in chief and be cross examined by the other party’s representative. This is not an easy exercise, and can put a lot of emotional strain for the person being questioned.

Using the boy in the relocation case mentioned above, the Mr Jackson decided that the teenager could give a short summary of evidence at the beginning of the hearing, then Mr Jackson himself put forward 5 questions from each solicitor. The evidence lasted less than 30 minutes and the young boy then left the courtroom and went on a school trip for the rest of the week.


If you’re thinking about starting court proceedings, even if your child is adamant that they don’t want to see the other parent, their views are rarely decisive. As part of our roadmap service we would explain to you all of the circumstances which will be taken into account and then you can decide if you still intend to make an application to court.

Categories :
  • Articles
  • News
Tags :
Provider :
Product Bucket : Family Law (General)
Related Articles
Load more comments
Comment by from