Spotlight
Family Law Awards 2020
Shortlist announced - time to place your vote!
Court of Protection Practice 2020
'Court of Protection Practice goes from strength to strength, having...
Jackson's Matrimonial Finance Tenth Edition
Jackson's Matrimonial Finance is an authoritative specialist text...
Spotlight
Latest articles
No fault divorce - the end of the blame game
The Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Act 2020, which passed into law on 25 June 2020, will introduce "no fault" divorce in England and Wales for the first time. This article looks at what it...
New Cafcass guidance on working with children during COVID-19
The Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (Cafcass) has published guidance on working with children during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The guidance sets out arrangements for...
Remote hearings in family proceedings – how is justice perceived?
The motion for the recent Kingsley Napley debate:  “This House believes remote hearings are not remotely fair” was carried with a fairly balanced 56% in favour and 44% against....
Online event: An update on recovery in the civil, family courts & tribunals
HM Courts and Tribunals Service has announced that it is holding an online event to discuss its recovery plan for the civil, family courts and tribunals, which was published on 9 November 2020...
HM Courts & Tribunals Service confirms 2020 Christmas and new year closure dates
HM Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) has confirmed the dates over the Christmas and new year period in which Crown Courts, magistrates’ courts,...
View all articles
Authors

ContactPoint switched off

Sep 29, 2018, 17:30 PM
Slug : ContactPoint_switched_off_0608
Meta Title :
Meta Keywords :
Canonical URL :
Trending Article : No
Prioritise In Trending Articles : No
Date : Aug 6, 2010, 10:20 AM
Article ID : 91275

ContactpointThe government has announced it switched off the controversial children's database ContactPoint today.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme this morning, children's minister Tim Loughton said: "We don't think that spreading very thinly a resource which contains details of all 11 million children in the entire country, more than 90% of which will never come into contact with children's services, is the best way of safeguarding genuinely vulnerable children."

The £235m database would have given an estimated 400,000 people access to personal information of all children under 18 as well as information about their parents, schools and medical records. Last November, the previous government rolled out ContactPoint to local authorities and frontline practitioners nationally.

However in his first official speech as Deputy Prime Minister, Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg announced the Government's plans to scrap the scheme in line with in the Coalition Agreement.

As of midday today users are no longer able to access the system and the database will be destroyed using government-approved security standards and processes.    

The government is exploring an alternative to the database in the form of a "national signposting approach", which would focus on helping a smaller group of practitioners to find out whether a colleague elsewhere is working, or has previously worked, with the same vulnerable child.

ContactPoint suffered numerous set backs in its development including serious security breaches and long delays to its launch. A report in 2007 by auditors Deloitte said the database could never be totally secure.   

Categories :
  • News
Tags :
Authors
Provider :
Product Bucket :
Recommend These Products
Load more comments
Comment by from